We all know that cocktail culture is currently booming, with the UK becoming what one would call a nation of cocktail connoisseurs, writes Noora Rautiainen.
But what are the key drivers when deciding where to go to for a night out on the town?
Be At One – the UK’s leading specialist bar group, and one of FSC’s recent new clients – recently revealed insights from its latest annual guest survey/cocktail report. Here are the top five:
1. Premiumisation – this is leading the way in cocktail culture, with consumers frequently opting for quality over quantity during social occasions. In fact, 77% of Be At One guests said they were happy to pay more for a better quality cocktail on a night out.
2. No more gender bias (probably my favourite trend) – male drinkers are progressively developing a taste for cocktails, with almost a third (29%) drinking a cocktail every time they go out.
3. City slickers vs. country bumpkins – surprisingly the biggest cocktail enthusiasts can be found in Cardiff, Bristol and Brighton, with 40% of regional guests stating they drink a cocktail every time they are out compared to 34% Londoners.
4. Age – less surprisingly, 46% 18-24 and 34% 25-29 year olds go out 1-2 times per week, compared to 34% guests aged 30-34.
5. Guest experience – experience and atmosphere is one of the top factors listed when deciding on where to go out – more so by regional guests than Londoners who seek out a happy hour to get most value for money in a city full of options
So, combining what we already know, and can see, about current cocktail culture with results from Be At One’s cocktail report, I think it’s safe to say the nation’s thirst for cocktails is showing no signs of diminishing.
And what are cocktail lovers drinking more of than anything else? Be At One’s most popular cocktail by far is the Porn Star Martini, of which they sell a whopping 1,500 per day across 31 bars (!) Drink anyone?
Follow me on Twitter @NooraRautiainen